Re: Problem reserving enough space for Java object heap since stretch upgrade

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 10:36:56 -0400
Adam Rosi-Kessel <adam@rosi-kessel.org> wrote:

> >> I just tried upgrading to 4.9.30-2+deb9u2 per that posting and
> >> rebooted; same result.
> > >From your original post it seems you use i38 -
> > i386 is in some way still broken. The JVM also crashes...
> >
> This isn't on purpose and not something I've ever thought about it.
> It looks like migrating an existing system from i386 to amd64 is a
> cumbersome and potentially glitchy process. Is it still true that
> there is no foolproof and easy way to transition?

I had a go at a straight conversion a few years ago, possibly with
Lenny. After about an hour of serious messing about, I gave up and did a
migration, with dpkg --get-selections, 'restoring' to a minimal 64-bit
netinstall, then literally copying much of /etc.

The amd64 software versions were not all identical to the i386 ones, but
I got away with it. The major configurations, samba and exim4, went in
without a hitch, and this was a server, so no faffing about with X and
video drivers. I suspect there might be a few more pitfalls these days,
as version upgrades have become progressively more 'difficult' since
then.

--
Joe