Re: Stretch, pulseaudio and bluetooth headphones

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 09:52:42AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 06/29/2017 09:58 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > Hello the list!
> >
> > Quite a while ago I bought a pair of Bang & Olufsen bluetooth headphones
> > and have been using them from Jessie.
> >
> > The list may remember I had a little bit of a struggle getting them to
> > work with Jessie, which eventually turned out to be because I
> > unknowingly had 2 instances of Pulse running...
> >
> > After that all has been working great, until I upgraded to Stretch.
> >
> > After the upgrade, I was getting only mono sound.
> >
> > I followed the instructions I found here -->
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=197482https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=197482
> >
> > and moving the command to load module-bluetooth-discover so it isn't run
> > until X starts as described there fixed it. But I am not very
> > comfortable with the solution -- it feels like it is likely to get
> > undone in the future by an unsuspecting package upgrade.
> >
> > Anyone else seen this? Are there better solutions to be had? (Solutions
> > that aren't likely to fall apart after I've forgotten what I did)
>
> Make sure that pavucontrol is installed and that you use it to set up your
> headphones. Click on the "Configuration" tab and select stereo from the drop
> down list. Should work just fine as long as lsusb shows the device. Ric

Until I did the fix I mentioned in my original post, that I got from the
arch forums (fora?), pavucontrol only showed the mono setup as an
option. The dropdown contained only one option. Ditto the bluetooth
setup screen you can get to from the place in Gnome where you connect
the headphones after turning them on.

After I made the fix detailed in my original post, the stereo profile
became available (specifically ad2p sink profile became available) and
once available it was used by default.

Perhaps you didn't fully follow my original post -- the question was not
"how can I fix this?" it was "isn't this fix a bit dodgy; is there a
better one?" And I suppose now I would add "does anyone know why this
wasn't an issue in Jessie, which to all outward appearances was
identical to Stretch in this regard?"

Thanks

Mark