Re: Stretch upgrade from Jessie -- several issues

On 06/23/2017 09:05 PM, Ralph Katz wrote:
On 06/23/2017 09:19 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 06/23/2017 02:44 PM, Ralph Katz wrote:
2) Returning from xscreensaver screen blanking sometimes shows the
lightdm log in screen.  Ctrl-alt-F7 once or twice can get my session
back after an annoying pause.  This never happened on jessie.

Are you sure, maybe the screen was turned off, maybe even hibernating.
Me, I tap the power-button, it will start reboot or come out of
hibernation. I'm pretty sure there are some new shortcut keys to press,
but I can't remember where I saw them.

I am sure the screen was on, as mentioned, this is  a laptop. Logs
confirm the system was not hibernating, just sleep or coming back from
screensaver blanking.

In KDE it's a whole new infrastructure and in Gnome too from what I
understand, the term regression has been used a lot these last two years
while testing, most problems come from older hardware, on one i965
system I found the workaround was to remove the Debian
linux-image-amd64, linux-headers-amd64, firmware-linux* and install
Ubuntu 16.04-xenial linux-image-generic, linux-headers-generic, that
made for smooth booting to the desktop and no regression.  Good luck!

As mentioned, this is xfce desktop environment.  I want to remain with
debian for sure, but thanks Jimmy.

+1 :) That i965 was used for testing, one of ten computers, otherwise now retired and Debian has no replacement kernel, not even in back-ports, they are all now 4.9.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Buster - Plasma 5.8.7 - Kernel 4.9.0-3 - EXT4 at sda24
Registered Linux User #380263