Re: Stretch upgrade from Jessie -- several issues

On 06/23/2017 09:19 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 06/23/2017 02:44 PM, Ralph Katz wrote:
>> 2) Returning from xscreensaver screen blanking sometimes shows the
>> lightdm log in screen.  Ctrl-alt-F7 once or twice can get my session
>> back after an annoying pause.  This never happened on jessie.
>
> Are you sure, maybe the screen was turned off, maybe even hibernating.
> Me, I tap the power-button, it will start reboot or come out of
> hibernation. I'm pretty sure there are some new shortcut keys to press,
> but I can't remember where I saw them.

I am sure the screen was on, as mentioned, this is  a laptop. Logs
confirm the system was not hibernating, just sleep or coming back from
screensaver blanking.

> In KDE it's a whole new infrastructure and in Gnome too from what I
> understand, the term regression has been used a lot these last two years
> while testing, most problems come from older hardware, on one i965
> system I found the workaround was to remove the Debian
> linux-image-amd64, linux-headers-amd64, firmware-linux* and install
> Ubuntu 16.04-xenial linux-image-generic, linux-headers-generic, that
> made for smooth booting to the desktop and no regression.  Good luck!

As mentioned, this is xfce desktop environment.  I want to remain with
debian for sure, but thanks Jimmy.