Re: One problem identified - was [Re: ARandR problems: Bug or opderator?]

On 06/20/2017 07:20 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 06/20/2017 05:14 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/18/2017 05:45 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/17/2017 03:02 PM, Curt wrote:
On 2017-06-17, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
I'm using Debian Testing on a Lenovo T510 Thinkpad whose screen is too
small and is in the "short and wide" category.
I prefer my 17" diagonal external with a nominal 4:3 aspect ratio.

I am using ARandR Screen Layout Editor 0.1.9.
It reports:
   laptop as        1366 x 768  and normal orientation
   vga monitor as   1280 x 1024 and normal orientation

With those settings it _can_ and *FREQUENTLY* does display what
I want.
Generally it chooses not to :/

Frequently does but generally doesn't does not compute.

I'll stand by my summary statement as being literally true.

I'll rephrase it.

With those settings it _can_ display what I want.
[see procedure you snipped]
It FREQUENTLY it does display what I want.
[I had listed some.]
Generally it chooses not to :/
[More than 50% of the time it does not.]

This morning started off "worse" than usual.
However I've a gut feeling that I've wandered into at least a partial
explanation. I suspect some variable is "path dependent" rather than
"state dependent". I'll have to work out a test procedure to verity.

I've identified one problem source.
At least sometimes after a power off shut down it comes up with the
laptop display selected as primary.
How can I force it to always come up with the VGA monitor as primary?

I created /home/richard/.screenlayout/VGA-as-master.sh with preferred
settings back when I was experimenting. I had understood ARandR would
use it automatically. It evidently doesn't.

I would delete what you saved and then let arandr save the settings
and see if that works.

It didn't :{

All of my comments in this thread have been while working in my user account.

Things are worse in the root account. I don't seem to be able to permanently change not only which display is active but *ALSO* unable to save the resolution settings for the displays.

I now have:

As setup for user richard
  laptop as        1366 x 768  and normal orientation
  vga monitor as   1280 x 1024 and normal orientation

As set up for user root
  laptop as        1024 x 768  and normal orientation
  vga monitor as   1024 x 768  and normal orientation