Re: Re: problems with _apt user privileges in upgrading from Jessie to Stretch [solved?]

Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:

        |>  On my system, only /var/lib/apt/lists/partial is owned by
        |>  the  _apt   user,  and it's not world-readable:

   |>  All the regular files in /var/lib/apt/lists are owned by
   |>  root:root and have standard 0644 permissions

Thank you. How strange. I just reverted my own earlier change so that
the  ownerships and permissions are as you describe in your
reply. /var/lib/apt/lists/ and the files within it are owned by
root:root and:

     # ls -ld /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
                  drwx------ 2 _apt root 20480
                Jun15:52 /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

and the warning/issue immediately returned:

  Reading package lists... Done
  W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
'/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/deb.debian.org_debian_dists_stretch_InRelease'   couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission   denied)

Is there detailed documentation somewhere? The man-page and the
material in /usr/share/doc/{apt/apt-doc} are sort of minimal --
about this aspect of things anyway.

Jim