Re: Debian 9 - Stretch has been released!

On 06/19/2017 03:21 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 08:42:54PM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>>  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
>
> Don't use live images for installations.
>
> Use install images for installations.
>
> For example, if you go to <http://www.debian.org/> there is a shiny
> green inset link which will download the amd64 netinst ISO image.
> Currently, that URL has the substring 9.0.0 in it, so I won't bother
> linking it here, as it may expire by the time people reading the
> mailing list archives see this.
>
> So, just go to <http://www.debian.org/> instead, and follow the
> download links from there.

As far as I can remember, Stretch is the first Debian version where the
official site states it is possible to install from a live media: "A
"live install" image contains a Debian system that can boot without
modifying any files on the hard drive and also allows installation of
Debian from the contents of the image." [1].

So Debian has "installation images" available from which one can install
(see for example [2]) and it also has live media which can be used to
"Try Debian live before installing" and also to install.

I suppose that the difference is only some more extra space on the
CD/DVD/whatever for more packages ready to be installed (but I don't
really know).

[1] https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
[2] https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst#smallcd

Dalios