Stretch: FontAwesome not properly installed / not working?

Hello

I've got the following issue:
When I visit the font-awesome cheat sheet [1] and copy-paste a character
(like , or  fa-envelope []) into gnome-shell or into another
program, e.g. gedit, or thunderbird, it shows up as another character or
the box with the hexvalues in them.

When I use gnome-font-viewer, I do see fontawesome installed and I can
view symbols.
When I use charmap I also see it there.

I've got fontawesome installed (I even re-installed it after the
upgrade) and updated fc-cache

$ apt list fonts-font-awesome
Listing... Done
fonts-font-awesome/stable,now 4.7.0~dfsg-1 all [installed]

$ fc-list FontAwesome
/usr/share/fonts/opentype/font-awesome/FontAwesome.otf:
FontAwesome:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/woff/font-awesome/fontawesome-webfont.woff:
FontAwesome:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/font-awesome/fontawesome-webfont.ttf:
FontAwesome:style=Regular

What could be the issue?
$ xlsfonts | grep -i awesome
doesn't show it, but neither does it show another installed font
(RobotoMono) that works in gedit and gnome-shell.

What else could I check?

-Hermi

[1] http://fontawesome.io/cheatsheet/