Re: ifconfig network resolution

On 06/10/2017 09:09 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
[snip]
Even the net-tools maintainers in Debian have wanted it removed from
the base install for more than 8 years now. I'm not saying they
would refuse to fix documentation bugs, but the motivation may be
very low at this point.

Some more info:

    https://lwn.net/Articles/710533/

Though as a computer _user_ I predate Dartmouth BASIC, I'm fairly new to Linux and as a "de facto" sysadmin for my own computers I'm as raw as they come.

Can you recommend a good introduction to iproute2 which ignores the existence of net-tools (start newbies with good habits)?
I find man pages a poor fit for what I'm looking for.
TIA