Re: Debian installation issues

On 10 June 2017 at 14:05, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
On 06/09/2017 03:37 PM, Michael Fothergill wrote:
On 9 June 2017 at 20:59, Fungi4All <fungilife@protonmail.com> wrote:

Here is some relevant reading of installing linux system besides Win8 and
in some cases the same problem exists on Win 10.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-alongside-a-pre-
installed-windows-with-uefi

​I read through some of this.  If I understood it correctly, if you buy a
machine that comes with e.g. Windows 10 installed for you then this secure
boot feature would make it difficult to boot and install certain Linux
distributions - but some versions of Ubuntu might be OK apparently.

But if you would buy such a machine, do you not also get the Windows key
codes for the OS.......?????

If you do, then could you not just back up the work files on the
installation and then uninstall Windows and reinstall it with the
secure boot feature turned off and then install the Linux distro
of your choice?

When I get a new PC I specifically request that it has no operating
system on it and then install everything from scratch.

I follow a variation on that that suits my personal/idiosyncratic preferences for buying used/reconditioned hardware (no need for cutting edge) and buying locally rather than online (fewer communication snafus).

I go into the store with a live DVD or flash drive. I began doing this to see if a standard install of Debian had appropriate drivers. I found a secondary advantage in discovering how straight forward it was to boot from something other than the default hard disk. A couple months ago I had occasion to go one step further and while and do a full install while in the store (odd permutation of hardware and software).
YMMV

I have not encountered this problem as yet.

I'm not clear to what "this problem" refers.

​As I understand it, it is possible to purchase a PC or laptop which has Windows 10 preinstalled on the hard drive.

Apparently the default installation in a UEFI capable machine includes something called the "secure boot" facility.  This new feature makes installing Linux distros difficult in some cases.
We have been trying to help the OP with this problem.

Regards

MF

Cheers

MF