Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

On Sunday, 11 June 2017 08:39:25 CEST Lisi Reisz wrote:

> please, Solitone, let me and the list know what I am supposed to have said.

No Lisi, I don't have more info than the list regarding what you supposedly said on this topic :-)

In any case, I've just removed the hold on the 4 chromium packages and upgraded. Everything's fine, chromium 59 does not have the issue that chrome 59 has.

In case I had to downgrade, I would have uninstalled those 4 packages, and reinstalled version 58 with dpkg, using the .deb files stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.

I'm wonder whether Dejan's suggestion actually works:

# apt-get install package=package-version-number

Whenever I try it I always get something like this:

# apt install chromium=58.0.3029.96-1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '58.0.3029.96-1' for 'chromium' was not found

I believe this means the old version is no longer available in the repository. So if you want to downgrade you need to have the package stored locally. But where do you find old packages in case you no longer have them in /var/cache/apt/archives?