Re: ifconfig network resolution

erk

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Which is confusing to my middle-aged brain. So I could suggest editing
> the man page, something along the lines of the following
>
> ---------------------------------
> [...]

{add}

> NOTES
>        The parameters and options are processed in the order given, thus
>        if the address appears after the netmask and broadcast address,
>        the netmask and broadcast address may be re-interpreted and applied
>        to an existing address, or to the state of having no address
>        assigned, with unintended results which affect the security state
>        of the host.

{end add}

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with a bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html