Re: Choose between amd64 and i386

On 06/10/2017 09:38 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/10/2017 08:41 AM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:

Le 07/06/2017 à 10:33, Rodolfo Medina a écrit :

Some months ago I tried many times to install Debian on my Debian
Acer One ...

[*MASSIVE* SNIP]

Did you try all combinations of the following ?
- BIOS/legacy boot mode or EFI boot mode
- text-mode install or GUI install
- 32-bit install or 64-bit install

[large snip]

Then I try to reboot with power button but the machine remains
for many hours in that state...  Then after many hours it turns off...

I am NOT familiar with any Acer product. However, there is a useful
feature in my assortment of Lenovo laptops and one desktop. It might
be described as a "panic stop". It is triggered by pressing and
holding the power button. It is *BRUTE* force and regularly causes
Debian to run adisk diagnostic on the next boot.
You might check Acer documentation or user group for a similar
function.

I just browsed back thru the thread and saw no mention of using a Live edition. These are available at:
<https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/>
and
<https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/>

That will help distinguish between specifically "installation issues" and "general suitability issues". What I'm thinking of is there some non-free software requirement that is causing atypical installation symptoms.