Re: Debian installation issues

On 8 June 2017 at 17:52, David DLC <drvrddc@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the info on the mailing address.

> The #debian bot currently recommends <http://sf.net/projects/win32diskimager/>
> if you need to write the Debian install image to a USB device from
> Windows.

I actually used that program to write the ISO to the USB stick the first time I tried it, but it didn't work.

I have found that I needed to repeat usb stick iso file burning or whatever term you use for it; sometimes it didn't work ie wouldn't boot from it the first time - try wiping the stick and using Rufus again to burn the iso onto it and have > another go.

I tried to rewrite the file, but it still did not work correctly. I don't know what is going on. I can't get the Debian installation page to appear, no matter what I do.

​Find a buddy who has an external DVD drive......

Attach it to your machine, burn the iso to a DVD and then boot from it...........

Cheers

MF​

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 11:08:32AM -0500, David DLC wrote:
> Thank you for all the replies! I haven't really used a mailing list before,
> so I'm not 100% sure I'm responding to the correct location. Do I hit

For this mailing list, you are expected to reply only to the list address,
unless the person to whom you're replying explicitly requests personal
lists in the world, where the expectation is "reply all".)

> Anyway, I have disabled secure boot, but that didn't seem to solve the
> problem. My computer does not have a DVD drive, so I put the ISO (
> debian-8.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso) on a USB stick. When booting my computer, I
> specifically click "use a device", then "USB Drive (UEFI)". The computer
> runs for a minute, then pops up the error message. I don't think boot order
> would change this, as I am booting specifically from the USB. I forgot to
> mention that I am attempting to dual boot my computer, so I don't wish to
> remove Windows completely.

If you used Windows to put the ISO image onto the USB stick, it's
quite possible it wasn't done correctly.

The #debian bot currently recommends <http://sf.net/projects/win32diskimager/>
if you need to write the Debian install image to a USB device from
Windows.

If you're doing it from a Unix/Linux system, then follow the
instructions at <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03>.