Re: Debian installation issues

Title: Re: Debian installation issues
Hello David,

Hello,

I have been trying to install Debian Jessie for about a week now. I have a 64-bit Windows 10 PC. I have shrunk the main C drive by 25 gbs, and turned off fast boot. I downloaded the AMD-64 small CD iso, and used win32 disk imager to write it to a 2 gb usb stick. However, when I boot my computer from the disk, I get the error message "The selected boot device failed. Press <enter> to continue." I tried another program, Rufus, to write the image file. There was no difference even when I tried that. I am at a complete loss at what to do. I don't know if it's a problem with my computer, or if I am doing something incorrectly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I think I had a similar problem with my old laptop and I could not quite understand why it happen.

In my case I guessed that I tried installing BRTFS on root file system, which might not be a good way to go.

I also found that using "Live DVD with /one of GNOME|KDE|XFCE|Cinamon|et/" might have interfered with uEFI.  I am not an expert...

If your machine uses uEFI, then the following applies.

So, I found that using standard installation CD that ships with several desktop options was the right way to go for me.  When you get a menu with "Graphical Install", "Install", etc. on that screen a message will be printed that it is a uEFI installation.

uEFI will not ask you to choose Grub installation location like Master Boot Record.  It will just write Grub into correct location and finish installation.

--
Best regards,
Sergei G