Re: NTP.conf pool vs server

On Wednesday 07 June 2017 10:54:26 Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 10:35:23AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >On Wednesday 07 June 2017 08:56:59 ray wrote:
> >> I would like to know the correct syntax for entering a server entry
> >> for stretch.
> >>
> >> All the documentation I find says to list the ntp servers in the
> >> file as: server 0.XX.pool.ntp.org
> >> server 1.XX.pool.ntp.org
> >>
> >> An example source from 2017 is https://wiki.debian.org/DateTime
> >>
> >> When I open /etc/ntp.conf on my new stretch installation, I find
> >> this format: pool 0.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
> >> pool 1.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
> >>
> >> The latest Debian doc says to start the line with 'server'.
> >> The latest Debian implementation starts the line with 'pool'.
> >>
> >> Are these interchangeable?
>
> As I understand it "server" will do name resolution once and pick an
> IP from the result. "pool" will periodically refresh the name and
> cycle to a different member of the pool.
>
> >> Additionally, there is a parameter 'iburst' which I did not find in
> >> the Debian docs but found at http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.1/confopt.htm
>
> Did you install ntp-doc? Did you check there?

I haven't gotten around to checking that, its on a raspberry pi3b, which
has a fan on its heat sinks, but isn't terribly stable, I've locked it
up tight at least a dozen times so far today with my horsing around.

But I did appear to get ntp to do its job, by adding "server " in front
of the fqdn's in /etc/ntp.conf.

[...]

Now, if I could just make it use the routers broadcasts. Or could at
least prove it is broadcasting. Yes it is, I caught a broadcast at
xx.xx.xx.255:

14:16:14.760909 IP coyote.coyote.den.ntp > xx.xx.xx.255.ntp: NTPv4,
Broadcast, length 48

So it is broadcasting. Now the trick is to make the rest of my machines
use it.  Hints & examnples welcomed.

And I did install ntp-doc just now. A wee bit more verbose, but still no
examples.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)