Re: line length and netiquette (was: Proper sources list from Jessie > Stretch)

From: wooledg@eeg.ccf.org

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 06:59:20PM -0400, Fungi4All wrote:
> ONLY MORONS USE RETURN WITHIN THE SAME PARAGRAPH EVER
> SINCE TYPEWRITERS RUN OUT OF INK AND DIED.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

In html there is <br> for line break and <p> for paragraph.  How long or short
should lines
be should be regulated from those who receive it and not be dictated
by the author.
If you customary say we break lines in 65 and one's monitor is
set to
break lines every  60chars. (vision problems) then one line will have
60 and
the next 5 because you passed the break into the text.  Some have big
screens with high resolution, some small screens with low resolution.
What
kind of rule will be forcing someone to read text in a tiny column about 1/10
of the screen?

I do not see how someone's attachment to his beloved vt100 will set the rule
for everyone else and do not believe it was a rule for participating in the list.
But even on vt100 emacs and lynx could handle html documents no matter what
size the lines were.  Can we move on to the next century?

(AK)