Re: FOSS-friendly Wireless Access Point (WAP) for SOHO network?

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 19:14:32 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> debian-user:
>
> I am looking for a FOSS-friendly Wireless Access Point (WAP) for my
> SOHO network, to support Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, OS X, Android, iOS,
> etc., Wi-Fi devices.  I'd like something with an external power
> adapter (wall wart), dual-band, 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet
> port, built-in antennas, wall mount, good factory firmware (I will
> use this as an AP only; DD-WRT bricked my last router), and that can
> handle warm temperatures (say, 100 F).
>

> Does anyone have any advice, warnings, recommendations, etc.?

Not specific models recently, I'm still on a new-ish ISP-supplied FTTC
box.

But if you expect to use any vaguely exotic protocols in the future, try
to research any bugs in your chosen device before buying. Anything that
the great unwashed don't use regularly (like uPnP) seems to be likely to
be advertised but poorly implemented and tested. Don't assume that
every protocol listed in the brochure will actually work, though all
should make some attempt. New models are particularly suspect. I've
been generally fond of the Netgear DG843 series for many years, but
some firmware versions had their problems, often *later* versions.

About ten years ago, many routers didn't handle PPTP VPNs (a quite old
Microsoft protocol at that time) very well, and a Linksys/Cisco cheapy
I bought as an access point about three or four years ago had a real
problem with RADIUS until I found a workaround. I've known a router's
DNS server to find *some* MX records but not others. And so on...

--
Joe