Re: FOSS-friendly Wireless Access Point (WAP) for SOHO network?

On 06/05/2017 10:14 PM, David Christensen wrote:
debian-user:

I am looking for a FOSS-friendly Wireless Access Point (WAP) for my SOHO
network, to support Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, etc.,
Wi-Fi devices.  I'd like something with an external power adapter (wall
wart), dual-band, 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet port, built-in
antennas, wall mount, good factory firmware (I will use this as an AP
only; DD-WRT bricked my last router), and that can handle warm
temperatures (say, 100 F).

Does anyone have any advice, warnings, recommendations, etc.?

David

If by "FOSS-friendly" you mean FOSS running on the Access Point or Router I'd suggest you look at Luxul. I'm using a Luxul XWR-1750 as a router for three Debian stretch boxes, one Windows 10 box, an Android tablet, an Android phone, and a Brother wireless MFP -- all connected via wireless (some on 2.4 and some on 5), except when I want to connect the Debian notebook by CAT6 for special admin functions on the router. Not a hint of slowness, even on big file transfers on the local net.

And the software running on the Luxul router is Open Source and directly available from the manufacturer. The admin pages are a little clunky in some ways, but it runs like a train -- like one of those good trains in some country where they run on time.

Not like the trains around here. Nosiree. Better off walkin'.

;-)