Re: Why was apache2's logfiles moved mid april?

On Monday 05 June 2017 08:27:11 David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 05 Jun 2017 at 11:10:12 (+0000), davidson@freevolt.org wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Jun 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >Greetings all;
> > >
> > >100% uptodate wheezy install here.
> > >
> > >I try to keep a handle on my web site traffic with awffull, but it
> > > has not generated any new data since sometime in april, so I go
> > > looking for the why tonight and find that apache2's logfiles were
> > > moved to /var/log/httpd.  I was going to reconfigure awffull, but
> > > that would have cost me about 5 years of history,  so I moved the
> > > files, and where apache2 keeps its logs back to /var/log/apache2.
> > >
> > >Was there a good reason to issue an update to apache2.conf that
> > > moved those logfiles?
>
> I thought this change was made so that you could run multiple
> instances. It's all in the changelog.

I grepped the system for apache2, then grepped that for a ChangeLog, and
came up empty.

> > You could examine the recent months' postings to the mailing list
> > below, and see if anything strikes a chord:
> >
> >  https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-changes/

Does not appear to have done anything to apache2 in that time frame.

> > But I seem to recall that around the end of April, you wrote to this
> > list that you had been experimenting with your web server and were
> > contemplating some changes to /etc/apache2 and /etc/httpd .
> >
> > And now your web server's logfiles are stored in an unexpected
> > location, as of sometime in April.
>
> … perhaps a few moments before Fri, 28 Apr 2017 23:35:06 -0400
>
> Could you have lost control of your APACHE_LOG_DIR?

I must have done it, and promptly forgot about it then. Very easily done
when the wet ram is working on its 83rd.

I just put it back, and I apologize for the list noise.

I even looked in my own /var/cache/apt/archives, nothing in even remotely
that time frame.  So it must have been me... :(

> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett