Re: Proper sources list from Jessie > Stretch

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 13:19:40 +0200
Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:

> Ric Moore:
> > Fungi4All:
> > > Sorry for the top-post but I think it is appropriate
> >
> > It is not ever appropriate, no matter what you think. Ric
>
> I do not quite agree. Bottom posting and top posting are different
> styles of responding; choosing between them depends on your purpose.
>
> Especially in a corporate environment, the previous correspondence is
> usually not meant to be read first, but rather meant as a reference.
> That's why top posting is usually preferable there.
>
> In a technical list like this one, bottom posting is obviously by far
> the best method - although exceptions do exist, e.g. when for some
> reason it is desirable that the reply is being read first.

> What you *think*, your intuition, is usually a good indication for
> that. Maybe better not let it overrule by rigid rules....?

Indeed. 'Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is
right.'

Rules were *not* made to be broken, but they should be taken as
guidance rather than being unquestioningly obeyed. I'll damn well use a
goto if I want to...

--
Joe