Re: Why was apache2's logfiles moved mid april?

On Monday 05 June 2017 07:10:12 davidson@freevolt.org wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > 100% uptodate wheezy install here.
> >
> > I try to keep a handle on my web site traffic with awffull, but it
> > has not generated any new data since sometime in april, so I go
> > looking for the why tonight and find that apache2's logfiles were
> > moved to /var/log/httpd.  I was going to reconfigure awffull, but
> > that would have cost me about 5 years of history,  so I moved the
> > files, and where apache2 keeps its logs back to /var/log/apache2.
> >
> > Was there a good reason to issue an update to apache2.conf that
> > moved those logfiles?
>
> You could examine the recent months' postings to the mailing list
> below, and see if anything strikes a chord:
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-changes/
>
> But I seem to recall that around the end of April, you wrote to this
> list that you had been experimenting with your web server and were
> contemplating some changes to /etc/apache2 and /etc/httpd .
>
> And now your web server's logfiles are stored in an unexpected
> location, as of sometime in April.

Something changed, and my web page became in-accessable from the outside
at about that time.  That I managed to restore, but I don't recall
moving the logfiles. I could potentially see a reason, that being to
unify where all the competing web servers (theres quite a bunch of
choices these days) keep their logs. I could have moved all the old
logfiles to there I suppose, but it was easier to move the newly
generated stuff back to the old location, where among other things,
logrotate was used to working on them.

> This could be mere coincidence, and I personally wouldn't know a web
> server from a taxi driver.
>
> Just thinking out loud, as they like to say in Pickens County.

Chuckle, we do that here in Lewis County too.  We think about the
hereafter too, like going some place, getting there, and then trying to
recall what it was that I came here after...  My short term memory isn't
what it once was, not even once.  Darnit.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)