Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 03:55:08AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Your subject error message is a standard/common Gnome error that results from
> trying to use gfx that has insufficient Xorg driver and/or hardware support.

It's a wide-ranging error message that covers a whole gamut of possible reasons
that gnome-shell has failed to start / crashed after start-up. It's also, IMHO,
a horrifically useless error message for diagnosing exactly what's up.

You're no doubt right about Kaby Lake, but that does not explain the (same?)
problem occurring for OP in VirtualBox.

OP, I'd try the XFCE based live CD inside vbox if I were you.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland