Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong

Thank you

You have answered my question perfectly.

Is stretch going to give me trouble?

On 6/4/2017 12:55 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
Sergei G composed on 2017-06-04 00:31 (UTC-0700):

I am trying to run Debian 8.8 under current version 5.1.22 of VirtualBox
on Windows 10 and I am getting
      Oh no! Something has gone wrong
error message.  I went down to simplest level of running Debian Gnome
Live disk and I am still getting this error.
I tried a few display settings (128MB of video memory, enable/disable 3D
acceleration) without success.
I know had the same issue when I tried to install live Debian on my new
hardware directly:
Intel Pentium G4560 CPU on Gigabyte B250M-D3H motherboard.  I suspect
that CPU built-in video is not supported.  I resolved the issue on the
hardware by using a video card that I know works with Linux.
Do you have a question?

Your suspicion is correct. Kaby Lake (G4560) gfx is not supported on 8.8. It's
much too new. If you wish to use your Kaby Lake gfx, either install Stretch
instead of Jessie, or upgrade Jessie's kernel to one that supports Kaby Lake (4.9).

Your subject error message is a standard/common Gnome error that results from
trying to use gfx that has insufficient Xorg driver and/or hardware support.