Re: drive names and UUIDs, was Re: Intresting dd fsck grub uuid fstab action

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 03/06/2017 à 17:48, Gene Heskett a écrit :
>>

>> I don't believe that will work.  dd runs on the raw device, not to an
>> artificially created "partition".
>

> dd runs on any type of device, including partitions.

But it copies the raw data.

In the context of this discussion, it makes absolutely no sense to
have it twiddling any of the data it copies, much less any of the data
that refers to what is being copied.

(Sorry about the misfire, Pascal.)

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with a bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html