Re: Upcoming transition to Stretch

On 06/02/2017 07:03 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 12:35:12PM +0200, Siard wrote:
>> Michael Milliman:
>>> As I understand it, Stretch will become stable in a couple of weeks.
>>> At that time what is now Sid (unstable) will become Testing. Is this
>>> correct?
>>
>> No, that is not correct. :-)  Testing will be unaffected.
>> Depending on how you configure /etc/apt/sources.list, you can either
>> have Testing continue as Stable, or the new Testing.
>
> To expand on this:
>
> Debian developers upload the new versions of their packages into unstable.
> During normal times, when there is NOT a freeze in effect, packages
> which meet certain criteria (no release-critical bugs, all dependencies
> satisfied, etc.) will be copied automatically from unstable into testing.
>
> That process is not taking place now, because of the freeze.
>
> It is not accurate to say that unstable "becomes" testing.  It's more
> like closing/opening a dam to prevent a river from flowing.
>
> Furthermore, there is a "slushy" effect which is preventing developers
> from uploading (most) new packages into unstable.  Doing so would
> distract from the efforts to clean up stretch for release.  In essence,
> unstable is also mostly-frozen right now.  (Nothing is 100% absolute,
> because these are developers we're talking about.  They're like cats.)
>
> After the stretch release, there is going to be a tremendous influx of new
> packages in unstable, as developers want to play with all their new toys.
> The unstable->testing dam will also be opened, so after a couple days,
> when packages become eligible for copying, they'll start to appear in
> testing too.  Anyone who is tracking unstable or testing at this time
> should prepare for Extra Fun.

Thank you Siard and Greg.  This does clear up this part of the process.
Currently, I have my sources.list pointed at Stretch, recently modified
from pointing to Testing in anticipation of potential issues.  I think
I'll go ahead and set it back to Testing (which is the same as Stretch
at the moment, so it is just a name change) and see what the ride is
like.  I can always point back to Stretch (then stable) and do some
serious work in Synaptic if there is too much blood flowing :)

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray