Re: Install Debian 8.8.0/XFCE on32 bit system

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 at 12:32:01 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 12:23:56PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > On 06/01/2017 10:24 AM, David Wright wrote:
>
> > >  ? [!!] Partition disks ?
>
> > >   ???              SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA IC25N060ATMR04-0
>
> > >   ???              SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB Generic Flash Disk
>
> > The above ...[!!] Partition disks... is exactly what I'm seeing.  The
> > question comes down to which option do I take?  I only want to partition
> > sda, so that I don't wipe the other drives in the system.
>
> The important part is that "sda" and "sdb" are not meaningful labels in
> the general case.  You need to look at the rest of the information --
> the size, the description, the model number, the existing partitions.
> Use those to decide which disk to write to.

That's right. The strings you see above in the example are the
/dev/disk/by-id files (or part thereof) and those filenames
(or parts thereof) can frequently be found written on the outside
of the disk's casing (and sometimes on the box) as Model/Serial/Part
Number or whatever.

When I managed to persuade the Computing Service to issue me with
several disks at the same time (very infrequently), I would make
sure I created partitions with slightly different (usually by one
cylinder, a historical concept!) absolute and relative sizes so that
I could distinguish them in circumstances where size was the only
parameter visible.

Cheers,
David.