Re: Install Debian 8.8.0/XFCE on32 bit system

Stephen P. Molnar composed on 2017-06-01 08:30 (UTC-0400):

> I have an older desktop that has been running Windows XP that was shut
> down for about 5 years that I wean to put back into service.

> I know that it will run Debian as I've tried out the 32 bit live version.

> Now, I am not a computer person, but rather an Organic Chemist and I am
> use to the Debian 64 bit installer allowing me to automatically set up
> the hard drive.  Fortunately, the 32 bit installer expects more

Fortunately???

> knowledge that I possess when I get to the HD setup. I have three HD's
> Anthe system and want to install Debian on the first dirge (hda)

> My problem is compounded by my attempted searches for the solution as
> all I can seem to find involves running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit OS (i
> already know how to do that).

> I would greatly appreciate being pointed towards a solution to this problem.

I wasn't aware that only the 64 bit installer is available in a GUI version,
which is what you seem to be implying. Did you start the 32 bit installer using
the same type source media and process as you did with the 64? I've only ever
used Debian's text version, whether installing 32 or 64.

To me, what David showed you in his response you replied to and confirmed to be
what you see is plenty straight-forward once studied a bit. If you want the
installer to propose something, select the top choice, answer yes or no as you
see fit, and be done with it. It won't do anything with anything you say no to,
and it won't proceed to write anything anywhere until you confirm you're ready
to have it do so. If you're not comfortable that it won't disturb sdb or sdc, do
as David said, and install with neither device enabled.

One option is to partition in advance, using whichever partitioner you find best
suits you. I always partition fully in advance of starting *any* operating
system installer. This method means all that's required during OS installation
is to specify which partitions to use, for which purpose, where to mount, and
whether to format. (I format in advance, as well as partition in advance.) No
major Linux distribution forces you to use only partitions that it creates
during its installation process.

If what you're asking is how sda /should* be partitioned, it's one with as many
answers as people to provide them. Usually anyone who needs to have asked the
question and hasn't provided any information about his needs or expectations is
best off just accepting the installer's proposal from choosing "Guided".

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/