Re: Becoming familiar with Debian's BTS

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 at 11:01:05 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 06/01/2017 09:30 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> >On Thu, 01 Jun 2017, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>I can't find a way to retrieve project bugs in order of date originally
> >>filed.
> >>  reportbug-ng can sort by "last activity" but not "date opened".
>
> *INCORRECT* I was mislead by combination of visual problems and available
> monitor.
> It will sort on bug number. I had only spotted that I could sort on last
> activity.
>
> >>  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/ can report by "classification"
> >>     but not "date opened".
> >
> >The bug numbers increase monotonically, so larger numbers are
> >guaranteed to have been filed after smaller numbers. By default
> >the BTS sorts them numerically which is also the order filed.
>
> BUT
> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;package=tomboy>
> insists on categorizing the bugs.
>
> I want a simple list, one line per bug, of open bugs for a project:
> [bug #] [date submitted] [bug title]

I think you are going about this in an inefficient way. Your stated aim
is

 > It has been suggested that I could be useful by testing older bugs to see if
 > they could be closed -- i.e. a fix for another problem or a general upgrade
 > has fixed the problem.

I'd suggest you choose a package or two which you use and have some
reasonable familiarity with. To tackle all open bugs is a gigantic
task. Testing open bugs in a package you triage is enough for anyone.
A list, one line per bug, of open bugs for a package is on the package
page. You know what they say about molehills.

--
Brian.