Re: Becoming familiar with Debian's BTS

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 at 11:01:05 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 06/01/2017 09:30 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> >On Thu, 01 Jun 2017, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>A second question concerns the progress of a package from experimental to
> >>stable.
> >>
> >>A case in point - Tomboy 1.15.8  has just been released by upstream.It was
> >>suggested on the Tomboy mailing list that I file Debian bug to use the
> >>latest release.
> >>Currently
> >>    stretch (testing) and sid (unstable) are at 1.14.1-4
> >>    experimental (rc-buggy) is at 1.15.4-1+b1
> >>Would that indicate whether or not a bug report is needed?
> >
> >You could file a wishlist bug requesting a new version if there wasn't
> >already one filed.
> >
> >It would only end up in experimental, not unstable, though.
>
> Are you saying that without a bug explicitly mentioning Tomboy 1.15.8 (or
> later) Debian won't go beyond 1.15.4  ? ??

No. Whether 1.15.8 comes into the archives is generally the maintainer's
decision. It can happen (or not happen) with or without a wishlist
report.

Any enhancement request made for 1.15.8 would be more useful if a reason
is given. For example, it fixes a certain bug, there is a new feature,
it interworks better with certain software etc. This implies that it has
been tested by a user in a Debian environment.

There may or may not be response to the prodding.

--
Brian.