Re: Install Debian 8.8.0/XFCE on32 bit system

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 at 08:30:33 (-0400), Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have an older desktop that has been running Windows XP that was
> shut down for about 5 years that I wean to put back into service.
>
> I know that it will run Debian as I've tried out the 32 bit live version.
>
> Now, I am not a computer person, but rather an Organic Chemist and I
> am use to the Debian 64 bit installer allowing me to automatically
> set up the hard drive.  Fortunately, the 32 bit installer expects
> more knowledge that I possess when I get to the HD setup. I have
> three HD's Anthe system and want to install Debian on the first
> dirge (hda)

It might help to know _what_ knowledge is being demanded of you.
It's odd; I've run both 32bit and 64bit installers and can't see
a difference apart from the names of certain items like the
kernel version.

When you arrive at this screen:

  ┌────────────────────────────┤ [!!] Partition disks ├─────────────────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │ This is an overview of your currently configured partitions and mount points.   │
  │ Select a partition to modify its settings (file system, mount point, etc.), a   │
  │ free space to create partitions, or a device to initialize its partition        │
  │ table.                                                                          │
  │                                                                                 │
  │              Guided partitioning                                                │
  │              Configure software RAID                                            │
  │              Configure the Logical Volume Manager                               │
  │              Configure encrypted volumes                                        │
  │              Configure iSCSI volumes                                            │
  │                                                                                 │
  │              SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA IC25N060ATMR04-0                 │
  │              >     #1  primary  20.0 GB  B     ext4                             │
  │              >     #2  primary  20.0 GB        ext4                             │
  │              >     #3  primary  19.0 GB        ext4                             │
  │              >     #4  primary   1.0 GB     F  swap    swap                     │
  │              SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB Generic Flash Disk                    │
  │                                                                                 │
  │              Undo changes to partitions                                         │
  │              Finish partitioning and write changes to disk                      │
  │                                                                                 │
  │     <Go Back>                                                                   │
  │                                                                                 │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

where I see my USB installer stick (still plugged in), you'll also see
your other two hard drives which you can just ignore.

Or, if push comes to shove, you could always perform the entire Debian
installation with two drives disconnected; just unplug their data cables.

> My problem is compounded by my attempted searches for the solution
> as all I can seem to find involves running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit
> OS (i already know how to do that).

What were you searching for?

> I would greatly appreciate being pointed towards a solution to this problem.

Cheers,
David.