Re: [A bit OT] Diagnosing home network

Curt wrote:
> On 2017-05-26, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> It seems like you read my original problem as slowness accessing the
>> internet. That isn't the problem, I'm concerned about intra-LAN speeds.
>> Haven't even got the length of worrying about internet speeds yet, since
>> there are so many variables that can impact that, I have to be sure my
>> end is in tip-top shape before I start poking at that.
>
> Intra-LAN speeds; I thought you were speaking of transferring a movie
> file(?) between two computers on your LAN [...]

Think he goofed the word, but intranet ("LAN") speeds would affect
transferring a movie.

> [...] which couldn't proceed any faster than the receiving end could
> write that file to disk? I mean, would that not be a limiting factor,
> even with a quantum link?

I/O speeds of the drives are definitely a factor -- but pretty much
anything relatively decent (i.e. not those godawful 5400 RPM laptop
drives) can read fast enough to saturate a wifi link.  On the "writing"
side, it's buffered to RAM first, so that'll help (even with a godawful
slow 5400 RPM laptop drive).

SSD's shouldn't have much trouble (though, does kind of depend on the
SATA bus).

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947