Re: Old 32bit PC 650kRam less VidMem 1024x768 will not run on Stretch ok on Jessie

GiaThnYgeia composed on 2017-04-11 08:39 (UTC-0400):

Felix Miata:

Did including iomem=relaxed on your cmdline solve your problem, or did
it not?

I wouldn't know, the person for which I installed Debian for will not
dare switch to Stretch after this experience, will not even talk about
it.

If yes, say so.

Are you talking to me?

Who else would I be writing to? You started the thread:
Presumably, you were the "I" with the Prosavage8 S3 Graphics problem about which you wrote.

Supporting ancient hardware forever is not going to happen.

A 2.33Mhz Celeron pc is by no means ancient compared to the Debian claims.

While that CPU may well be considered non-ancient, Debian dropped the ball when it integrated upstream's KMS without commensurate resources necessary to adapt and maintain drivers for all gfxchips other than those from AMD/ATI, Intel and NVidia. Support for the ~18 year old Prosavage8 S3 Graphics gfxchip that is the reason for this thread's inception has obviously become inadequate, as it has for a non-trivial number of other gfxchips designed 15-20 years ago.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/