Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 07:26:03PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 05.04.2017 um 17:04 schrieb Dan Ritter:
> >>
> >> That estimate sounds plucked out of the air to me.
> >
> > It certainly is.
> >
> > For example, I run on the order of a thousand servers that are
> > running Wheezy because we haven't managed a smooth transition to
> > Jessie yet, and systemd is a large part of that problem.
> >

> what problems exactly do you have which are caused by systemd?

We have our own applications, built over the last 19 years, that
are managed by sysvinit scripts which are handled by a configuration
management system that we built and open-sourced before Chef or Puppet
were born. Nobody wants to rewrite all of this. Initial testing of
systemd compatibility were negative, and nothing looked so easy to fix
that someone jumped up and said "I'll do that!"

Eventually we'll have to do the work, but the operations staff here has
a consensus that if we're going to do the work, we might as well go to
a system that we feel capable of understanding and trusting, something
more like daemontools. Nosh is being considered.

It's not Debian's problem, it's our problem. But we wouldn't have this
problem if Debian hadn't decided to change a fundamental part of the
infrastructure.

Now you know why I'm grumpy about systemd.

-dsr-