Re: OT: speaking of days (weeks, months, years, etc.) (was: Re: Movie 'n Book recommendations by Curt)

On 2017-04-01, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 01 April 2017 18:11:12 Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2017-03-31, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > We are part of the same sovereign state, but 4 nations.
>>
>> When you consider some of the Irish, yes. Most Irish people live in a
>> different sovereign state.
>
> Agreed!!!  But the United Kingdom has 4 nations in it.  It is one Sovereign
> State (for a little while longer anyway) but 4 nations.  The fact that one of
> those nations has temporarily been split in two by history is a separate
> issue. You surely wouldn't dispute that it is a discrete nation?
>
> Lisi

No, not at all. (In fact, I see the UK as consisting of three nations
plus a bit of someone else's nation.) I wanted to dispel the frequently
encountered notion that the UK extends to all of Britain and Ireland.
Your original statement above, unqualified, could be seen to perpetuate
that misconception.

--

Liam