Re: Wan/Lan problem [SOLVED]

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 09:40:29PM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> On March 30, 2017 8:27:54 PM EDT, Mike McClain <mike.junk.46@copper.net> wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 07:25:52AM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> >> On March 28, 2017 7:46:02 PM EDT, Mike McClain
> ><mike.junk.46@copper.net> wrote:
> ><snip>
> >If I'm understanding you you're saying that ATT's router having an
> >address of 192.168.1.254 on eth0 while the Linux box(play), Win2k(s40)
> >and my router have addresses 192.168.1.1,2&3 on eth1 is the root of
> >the problem. Since ATT's router's address is immutable I either need
> >to reconfigure 2 computers and a router to a different net,
> >192.168.2.0 or 10.0.0.0, for instance or learn to build bridges.
> >
> >Is my understanding correct?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Mike
>

> Yes,
> with your configuration both eth0 and eth1 are in 192.168.1.0/24. There is no way tobfigure out which to use.
>
> However you have to provide more than just diferent subnets. The network behind the firewall now needs dns and most likely also dhcp.
> You could install dnsmasq. It provides just this.
>
> However based on your initial understanding of networking I wonder if something like pfsense makes more sense for you.
>
> Another way to set this up would be a transparent firewall. In that case you bridge eth0 and eth1 without assigning an ip address at all. You might want to have athird network interface for maintenance tho.
> Pfsense also privides that functionality.

    My thanks to Mr. Follmann and all you others that helped.
As it turned out ATT's router having an address of 192.168.1.254 is
not immutable but subject to change by the user(me). Setting ATT's
router to 192.168.2.254 solved all my problems. With eth0 and eth1
both up, the  Linux box and the Win2K box can both browse the i'net
passing GRC.com's all ports scan and I can still mount the Win2K
shared partitions from Linux.
    An extra thanks to you, Henning for pointing out the trouble spot.

Mike
--
People ain't any more interested in politics than they are in long
underwear. Both sides have lied to 'em so often that we don't look on