Re: OT: speaking of days (weeks, months, years, etc.) (was: Re: Movie 'n Book recommendations by Curt)

On Friday, 31 March 2017 10:18:24 -04 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 31, 2017 09:45:59 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 02:34:26PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > Great - all fine in theory.  But you try announcing a meeting that
> > > way!!!
> > > Here in England we debate it, meaning that I and my husband disagree.
> > > When I say "next Thursday", I mean the Thursday next week.  When he says
> > > next Thursday he means the next Thursday to arrive, i.e. this Thursday.
> > > We are both English, but I Cockney-born and he Yorkshire.
> >
> > For whatever it's worth, here in Ohio, "next Thursday" would mean the
> > Thursday that occurs in the next calendar week.  "This Thursday" means
> > the Thursday that occurs (or occurred) in the current calendar week,
> > though you'd need to use the past tense when saying it today, or people
> > would get very confused.
>
> Interesting!  (I guess I've run into that meaning without really realizing
> it...)
>
> > If you want to be clear, just include the numeric date.  Your meeting
> > would be "Thursday, April 6th".
> >
> > English is hilarious.
>
> +10

Ambiguity often is good and can be used to postpone fruitless discussions:
Coworker: "When will this be ready?"
Me: "On Thursday."
on closest Thursday ->
Coworker: "Hey, is XX ready?"
Me: "No."
Coworker: "You said it will be ready on Thursday."
Me: "Did I indicate which Thursday?"
Coworker: "!!" now starting fruitless discussion