Re: OT: speaking of days (weeks, months, years, etc.) (was: Re: Movie 'n Book recommendations by Curt)

On Friday 31 March 2017 14:04:03 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> To specify the Thursday before the last Thursday, use something like: "the
> Thursday before last Thursday".
>
> To specify the Thursday after the coming Thursday, use something like: "the
> Thursday after next Thursday".

Great - all fine in theory.  But you try announcing a meeting that way!!!
Here in England we debate it, meaning that I and my husband disagree.  When I
say "next Thursday", I mean the Thursday next week.  When he says next
Thursday he means the next Thursday to arrive, i.e. this Thursday.  We are
both English, but I Cockney-born and he Yorkshire.

And let us clear up another misunderstanding while we are at it.  The other
side of the pond you appear to be under a delusion that there is such a thing
as British anything, including English.  Try telling that to the Welsh, the
Irish and the Scots!

Lisi