Re: Movie 'n Book recommendations by Curt

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 3:56 PM, Terence <terence.john@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Lisi asks "And is London "up" or "down"from York?"
>
> London is "up". "Up trains" were those travelling to London terminii, "Down trains" departed from London terminii to other parts of the rail network.

I have run across people to whom "uptown" refers to the central area of only a very large city, and "downtown" is everyplace else - and vice versa.

> On the other hand, if you "Take The 'A' Train" Sugar Hill is "up in Harlem".

Manhattan is a special well-defined case where going "up" or "down" refers to the street numbers. 109th St. is "up" from 54th St. The numbers go from the southwest tip of the island northeast, and they are all numbered streets. Very handy.

> As they say in "Private Eye", I don't get out much..

This reminds me of the time a professor gave a coding assignment on Tuesday, due "next Thursday." To most of the class that meant in 2 days, rather than next week. Hilarity ensued. But I think the Brits have it right, with "Thursday" meaning in two days, and "Thursday next" meaning next week. (I may be imagining this difference in clarity, though.)

Cathy