Re: Movie 'n Book recommendations by Curt

Lisi asks "And is London "up" or "down"from York?"

London is "up". "Up trains" were those travelling to London terminii, "Down trains" departed from London terminii to other parts of the rail network.

On the other hand, if you "Take The 'A' Train" Sugar Hill is "up in Harlem".

As they say in "Private Eye", I don't get out much...

Terence

On 30 March 2017 at 20:28, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
Eike Lantzsch writes:
> the Dutch in New Netherland were called "Jan Kees".  New Netherland
> became mostly New York and the locals became "Yankees". So somebody
> from South Carolina may feel that he himself must not be considered to
> be a "Yankee".  Whether the nickname for the Dutch was just friendly
> banter or derogative, I don't know.

It gets more complicated yet.  Look up the song "Yankee Doodle".
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com