Re: HP Printer (OfficeJet 8730) Installation

On Thu 30 Mar 2017 at 16:15:18 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

> On 29/03/17 18:27, Brian wrote:
> >
> > The changelog at backports has
> >
> >  hplip (3.16.7+repack0-1) unstable; urgency=medium
> >
> >   * New upstream release
> >     - Support for new HP printers:
> >       × Officejet Pro 8730
> >
> Thanks again, Brian. Once I fiddled with the missing Python component(s)
> - by pure guesswork - I was able to print. Scanning is an issue for
> another day as xsane produces a thin strip of over-printed rubbish. I'll
> probably wait for Stretch before exploring further.

The 8730 looks like a smart device but at 220+ GBP I'd want it working,
Now!

Are you using the USB port or is the device on the network? Either way,
all that is needed for printing is printer-driver-hpcups, unless you are
wedded to having all that hplip provides. You should be able to purge
hplip and whatever python packages it pulled in and printing should
still work. Perhaps best, though, to ignore me and leave things as they
are if you are happy with this situation. You are printing after all.

Scanning? Set up the device wirelessly (it can be left connected by USB
for this, I think) and enable AirPrint/Bonjour from its EWS (embedded
web server):

 http://IP_of_the_8730

After that

 scanimage -L

should pick up the scanner. xsane should offer it as choice if you there
is more than one scanner on the network. Or it should just detect the
OfficeJet and display.

--
Brian.