Re: An INCOMPLETE solution - was [Re: Where is data stored when Synaptic scans DVDs?]

On Tue 28 Mar 2017 at 16:10:57 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2017-03-28, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > 84% could be "hiding" other information from our eyes.
> >
> > I've never looked at (let alone examined) these files after scanning
> > CDs with synaptic (assuming these same filenames are used), so I have
> > no idea whether they contain the same information as apt-get update
> > writes, or more. And as for what   man apt-cdrom   means by
> > "correcting for several possible mis-burns", I have no idea.
>
> They contain exactly what David #1 said they did, I assume, as I have no
> good reason not to believe him (given that he's a bona fide authority on
> the matter in his role as an APT contributor).
>
> But in the context of the OP why you couldn't copy the two files from
> the first machine after the cds had been scanned and then copy them back
> to the second machine in order to avoid rescanning I don't know.

You've never tried or tested this, have you? Which is why you do not
know.

We have the OP claiming there is missing information. No indication
whatsoever of what this information is and absolutely no indication
of why it is thought there is anything extra to transfer. Not a hint,
not a whisper, not a clue.

We may as well be looking for the lost chord.

--
Brian.