Re: Wan/Lan problem

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 03:17:37 AM David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/28/2017 04:46 PM, Mike McClain wrote:
> > Howdy,
> > I have a WAN/LAN challenge I'm hoping for help with.
> >
> > I'm runniing Debian 7.11 on a Pentium 3 with 250MB ram.
> >
> > mike@/deb7:~> uname -a
> > Linux playground 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.84-2 i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> > The situation is this:
> >      phone        eth0         eth1
> >
> > AT&T-------|   |--------|   |--------|   |-------|   |
> >
> >         AT&T modem/     Linux         my         Win2K
> >
> >             router       box         router       box

I apologize because this doesn't answer your question but proposes an
alternative arrangment that, I believe, would be easier to configure.

I don't know the physical arrangement of your devices (in your home or office),
but my arrangement (and most arrangements I've seen) are a little different and
maybe you want to try an arrangment more like this:

Put your router immediately after the AT&T modem, then (assuming there are
multiple ethernet ports on the router), put your Linux box on one eth port and
the Windows box on another.  (That would require 3 ports on the router.)

If you don't have 3 ports on the router, consider getting a switch to place
after the router, and put the Linux and Windows boxes on 2 separate outputs
from the switch.

Either of these is a much more standard arrangement, and I have very little
trouble with any of this.  (The troubles I have had are not relevant to the
arrangement--things like Earthlink / Verizon outages and dealing with their
customer non-support, an anomaly in how a Westell modem worked (now using a
ZyXel), and difficulties in understanding and configuring QOS (primarily for
VOIP).)