Re: When specifying path to file - confused about ./ and ~/

On Mon 27 Mar 2017 at 22:27:05 (+0900), Mark Fletcher wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 08:38:08AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > On 2017-03-27 at 07:14, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > > Please avoid trying to briefly explain.
> > > Please refer me to a good web page.
> > > I *KNOW* I'm missing something fundamental.
> > > A web page will either have links to whatever my underlying problem is.
> > > Or it will inherently use keywords for which I can search.
> > > Thank you.
> >
> > Can you explain what your question is?
> >
> > . and ~ are sufficiently distinct that I'm not sure what the nature of
> > your confusion could be, so I'm not sure what to potentially link you
> > to.
> >
> > --
> I was thinking the same. Essentially posted "I have a basic
> misunderstanding. For God's sake don't help me!

No, the question is posed in such a way that the OP can slap you down
when you answer it in your way as opposed to the OP's required way.
It took 6 minutes for Peter Ludikovsky to fall into the trap, and
a further 19 minutes for the rude response, "Peter Ludikovsky wrote
without useful content:".

> Instead I want to use
> this list as a human search engine"

Or, as Curt wrote in
"And anyway, it's obvious Dick Owlett is crowdsourcing his retirement,
and although it's smart and modern, where's the fun in that?"

I liked this, from the same person earlier on the same day:

"Maybe not what you're asking. But if you would be kind enough to tailor your
questions to my answers, it would be much more pleasant for the both of us."

> Takes all sorts I suppose...

Cheers,
David.