Re: ftp client's "ls" is "!ls"

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 6:48 AM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 06:34:33PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> The "ftp" client appears to be flakey, but the
> tnftp client seems to work well, with tab-completion and other commands
> performing as expected. (The ncftp client *almost* works, but
> tab-completion doesn't see the blah.tgz.manifest file whereas it does see
> the blah.tgz file, so it gives misleading info on tab-completion.)

lftp is also worth a look.  If you're an experienced Unix shell user,
lftp is almost ridiculously intuitive.  (That said, I haven't seriously
used FTP in many years... makes me wonder what you're actually doing
with it.)

I think I tried lftp in my experiments, and it was lacking in some minor way. Or maybe it was that tnftp just responded more quickly, or was the last one I tried; I don't recall now.

This "Systems Management" appliance from KACE, then bought by Dell, then bought by Quest, is marketed as the gee-whiz solution to managing hundreds or thousands of network-attached devices (Windows PCs, Macs, Linux PCs, tablets, etc) from an administrative standpoint. So far, after wrestling with it for nearly a year, I'm not impressed.

For example, there is no sftp access, only ftp. (And so far, after trying for a week, I've been unable to get it to work as how the documentation describes. There's no way to set the ftp user (it's built-in; can't find any configuration for it anywhere), and the only real options for ftp are "on/off" and "writable" or not; I've set the check-box to "writable", but so far, it ain't. Pfft. As I said, not impressed.... And the documentation? And the support options? As I said, not impressed.)

Makes me wish I could just curl up in my nice little Debian world and leave the non-Debian computers flailing in the wind.

--
Kent West                    <")))><