Re: No sound-inputs but sound recording FMIT

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 07:13:22PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 05 March 2017 17:16:36 John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Gene Heskett writes:
> > > Very simple. With the glaring exception of the modern AC induction
> > > motor that in 99% of the stuff we buy, ANY other generator can also
> > > be used as a motor...
> >
> > Induction motors can function as generators.  You just need to connect
> > them to an appropriate AC source and drive them above synchronous
> > speed.
> >
> Yes, there is that exception, they need an excitation current, true, but
> in that case they make excellent brakes as they don't like spinning
> above synchronous any better than they like running below it.  And with
> enough dc current you can come pretty close to stopping them dead in
> their tracks. Certainly within one revolution.  But the armature is
> soft, and its not possible to maintain the magnetic field from its
> shorted turns armature long enough to extract any output power from it
> for more than a few milliseconds.

In other words Back EMF?

I know a chap who found about that the hard way when he tried to get
something from nothing by charging a battery from a generator which he
turned by having a fan connected to it. :)

He didn't get electrocuted or anything, the fan abruptly stops turning.

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty