Re: DD bs=4M option on USB mem-stick creates false format

kAt:
> dd if=/media/------/image.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync
>
> the image works but the format of the drive seems false
> gparted when starting says that linux thinks it is a 256k block and not
> the 4m it indicates.  It shows on an 8G drive an empty space of 28G
>
> Is it the option of bs=4M that creates this problem. The free space can
> not be formatted and partitioned.  As Gparted tried to claim and format
> this space as a 6.7G which seemed right it crashed.
>
> Any advise would greatly be appreciated
> kAt-rin

Correction to the error message, it is this:
The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but
Linux says it is 512 bytes.

or at least that is what I get without using the bs=4M option

I am wondering whether it is a fault of the iso image (recent download
of the Rescatux 4.0beta) which I am trying to use without luck on an old
32bit Celeron?? .. with Win XP to repair its admin pass and booting
which seems to take for ever.

I am trying to use the empty part of the stick to copy and store
temporatily some important files before I mess with it or install debian

kAt