Re: Thunderbird (OK, "Icedove") has no icon in task-switching panel in Xfce

On 3/26/17, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
> My, that's a small, specific question I'm asking.
>
> I'm running Icedove 1:45.8.0-2 (which is really Thunderbird 1:45.8.0-2)
> under Debian testing, with
> Xfce 4.12.3 as my desktop environment. It works fine (modulo the fact
> that I don't like every tbird
> design decision, but it works as designed), except for one very small
> thing: when I task-switch
> using alt-tab, the icon for Thunderbird is the
> empty-white-window-with-blue-title-bar icon, which
> I'm presuming is the default for "this program has not defined an icon".
> That's also the icon that
> appears in the workspace indicator in the Xfce4 panel.
>
> Is this a bug? Are others seeing this? It is not a huge deal, but it's
> annoying because I always
> task-switch with alt-tab and finding Thunderbird is harder when it has a
> nondistinctive icon that
> does not match the one in its button on the main Xfce panel.

Definitely an annoyance. At some point, I had a setup that had a BUNCH
of that, several different programs, going on. Within a couple
updates, it appeared to be addressed by developers.

Speaking firsthand: Accessibility wise, it's cognitively related to a
program's usability.

If this was me, I'd track down where the icons should be, and see if
there's some way to send in a patch so the developers don't have to do
this in addition to the serious coding.

No, I don't know where to look just this second. I started to try to
do the same back when I encountered it, but never got through the
process to be able to suggest where to start and finish......

Good luck if you try to help with it..

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey