Re: Issue with notebook (maybe the battery?)

On Saturday, 25 March 2017 19:29:59 -03 Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi, Joe.
>
> On 25/03/17 18:29, Joe wrote:
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> Last night, when I was going to close my notebook (with Jessie), I
> >> unplugged the charger cable waiting for the notebook to automatically
> >> go to sleep mode and surprisingly it turned off. It was a bit late so
> >> I left the issue to check it out today.
> >>
> >> I re-plugged the charger cable and KDE displays a message saying
> >> "Charging ..." but the charge level does not exceed 38%.
> >>
> >> Some observations:
> >>
> >> * If I unplug the charger, the notebook turns off. I would expect it
> >> to not turn off if the battery has a 38% charge.
> >>
> >> * When I plug in the charger, I notice that the battery LED blinks
> >> green for a few seconds (as if it was charging), then blinks orange
> >> for a moment (as if the battery is low) and finally it goes out (as
> >> if it were already loaded).
> >>
> >> * If with the cable plugged in I go to the KDE option to sleep the
> >> notebook, it works. But as soon as I disconnect the cable, the
> >> notebook turns off.
> >>
> >> Maybe it's a problem with the battery? Can you think of any other
> >> tests I can do to identify the source of the problem?
> >
> > Quick question: how old is the battery? I've seen it alleged that
> > lithium batteries lose up to 20% of capacity a year, regardless of
> > charge cycles, and I certainly had a laptop battery which stopped
> > charging after about five years of reducing capacity. I also have a
> > netbook, of the same brand, which is more than seven years old and
> > still holds about half the charge it did when it was new.
> >
> > Many people replace laptops in much less than five years, though
> > probably not people who run Linux on them.
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> Checking the purchase invoices, I bought the notebook on September 19,
> 2013, and then changed the battery on November 2, 2015. So less than two
> years ago I have this battery.

Did you purchase an original battery?
Usually the spare original batteries come with the same container as the
laptops. Consequently the "new" batteries are as old as the laptop. For that
reason it is usually better to purchase after-market batteries which contain
fresher cells.

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Agencia Shopping del Sol