Re: repairing damage to package manager

songbird:
> Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
>>
>> One more O.T. observation: Debian let me do a truly dumb thing, but I
>> wouldn't have it any other way.
>
>   who here hasn't done an erroneous rm or some
> other fumble fingered thing?
>
>   a few weeks ago i was working on tagging some
> pictures and didn't notice that i had selected
> 9000 of them instead of the few i intended.  then
> i deleted the tags.  there is no way to interrupt
> this.  oops.  i had to go find the backup files
> and restore the database which held the tags.

Good point. I cannot stress the need for backups enough. Every couple of
months someone approaches me because they have important data on a dying
disk. Right now it hit my best man who should really know better.

(No, uninstalling apt would not be covered by my backups either. But as
we have seen, you can recover from issues like this easily in many
cases. :))

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree]   [Disagree]